All vehicles crossing the Golden Gate Bridge must be in compliance with California Vehicle Code. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has policing authority on the Bridge.
Weight & Height Limits
The weight of vehicles and loads crossing the Bridge is restricted to legal limits due to ongoing seismic retrofit work. Extra-weight, legal-limit vehicles are NOT permitted. For more information on LEGAL LIMITS, visit http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/trucks/weight.html.
The vehicle height limit in the pedestrian/vehicle underpass that passes under the Toll Plaza is 11 feet, 10 inches.
Trucks, Trailers, Buses, Recreational Vehicles
Trucks, trailers, buses, and recreational vehicles are permitted on the Golden Gate Bridge as long as these vehicles:
- Are driven across the Bridge using the curb lane of the roadway (right lane, in both directions). These curb lanes are wider (11 feet) than other roadway lanes (10 feet).
- Use only the 2 right toll lanes (lane #1 or lane #2) when traveling south through the Toll Plaza. These Toll Plaza lanes are wider (11 feet, 10 inches) than the other toll lanes (9 feet, 2 inches).
- Do not exceed 14 feet, 6 inches in height, when traveling south through the Toll Plaza.
There is an underpass for pedestrians and vehicles under the Toll Plaza, with a vehicle height limit of 11 feet, 10 inches.
Oversize Vehicles & Vehicles Transporting Explosives, Corrosives or Flammable Cargoes
Oversize vehicles and vehicles transporting explosives, corrosives, or flammable cargo must stop on the shoulder on either the north or south end of the Bridge before entering the roadway lanes and contact the Security Office, using the yellow emergency call box, to arrange for a vehicle escort which is provided at no cost.
Note: Escorts are not provided weekdays between 6:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and between 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., or during extremely heavy traffic. Oversize vehicles must advise the Security Office of the total width, height, and length of their vehicle/load and the product(s) they are transporting.
None of the following is permitted to enter upon the Bridge roadway and its approaches:
- Animals which are being led, ridden, or driven, even if tethered or harnessed, with the exception of service animals, such as guide dogs, signal dogs, and service dogs.
- Vehicles with metal tires or deflated, flat pneumatic tires.
- Pushcarts, wheelbarrows, and similar vehicles.
- Motor-driven vehicles with tires less than 2-1/2 inches wide.
- Bicycles. Bicycles are only allowed on the sidewalks.
- Other vehicles which, in the judgment of the General Manager of the District, are likely to endanger persons or property, or to render use of the Bridge unsafe.
U-Turns & Tire Changes
Vehicles shall not make U-turns on the Bridge or Bridge approaches, except with permission of and under the direction of a member of the California Highway Patrol or an authorized employee of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Changing of tires on the Bridge roadway is prohibited.