Golden Gate Transit is now permitting local bus rides within San Francisco in an effort to help the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) as it makes necessary Muni service reductions during the current COVID-19 pandemic and shelter-in-place orders. This policy change will help San Franciscans who require essential travel, such as going to grocery stores, pharmacies, and essential jobs.
To familiarize new riders with Golden Gate Transit, we offer the following useful links:
- Riding the Bus. Find your bus route and stop, learn how to pay your fare, and get tips for riding.
- Bus Schedules & Maps. Get individual route timetables and maps and browse our system maps. Note: Golden Gate Transit has also reduced service and our online timetables represent these changes.
- Financial District service: Routes operate weekdays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Financial District via Lombard Street, Fisherman’s Wharf, and Levi’s Plaza.
- Civic Center service: Routes operate daily between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Salesforce Transit Center via Lombard Street (and Geary Blvd on weekdays), Van Ness Avenue, and Mission Street.
- Bus Fares & Payment. Clipper is the easiest way to pay a fare (riders must tag on when boarding and tag off when exiting Golden Gate Transit buses). Cash is accepted; Muni passes are NOT accepted. Note: Golden Gate Transit bus fares within SF differ slightly from Muni fares.
- Adults: $4.50 cash, $3.60 Clipper
- Youth/Seniors/Disabled: $2.25 cash or Clipper
- Real Time Arrivals. Get real-time bus arrival info for your bus stop using Transit app.
- WiFi. Connecting to our free WiFi is easy.
- Transferring & Connecting. Receive a fare credit when transferring between Golden Gate Transit and Muni or between Golden Gate Transit buses in San Francisco.
To learn more about impacts to the Golden Gate Bridge District's operations and services and how we are protecting employees and the public during the coronavirus pandemic, visit our COVID-19 Developments & Response page.
For additional trip planning and customer service assistance, visit www.goldengate.org or call 511 (say “Golden Gate Transit,” then “operator” to bypass recorded messages)/TDD 711. The Golden Gate Customer Service Center is open weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.