The Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District (Bridge District) has started a multi-year process to develop a new transit center for San Rafael. The current transit center was affected by the recent extension of the Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) system to Larkspur. Several government agencies are partnering to identify a new transit center site and configuration that will provide for the current and future mobility needs of San Rafael and Marin County.
As SMART was extended further south to Larkspur, the tracks bisected the existing San Rafael Transit Center (SRTC) site. This impacted how buses and people access and travel through the site as well as reduced the amount of space available for buses and riders. As a result, the transit center must be replaced in another location in downtown San Rafael. This is an opportunity to create a more accessible transit facility for all users and improve both connectivity and safety.
The Bridge District has held a series of public meetings to gather input and comments from public agencies and the community. Visit our Public Meetings & Open Houses page for more information.
A new transit center offers an opportunity to:
- Increase safety and comfort for users;
- Enhance the surrounding community by providing improved public space and mobility opportunities;
- Improve connectivity and circulation in and around downtown San Rafael;
- Increase use of local and regional transit use by improving transit connections;
- Increase accessibility for all users; and
- Maintain the current functionality and flexibility for the operators who serve it.
As the owner of the SRTC, the Bridge District will serve as the lead environmental agency for the project. The Bridge District, the City of San Rafael, Marin Transit, Transportation Authority of Marin, and SMART are all partners in the project.
Funding sources for the design and construction phases of the new transit center are anticipated to be a combination of local, state, and federal programs.
Learn about the San Rafael Transit Center project and stay informed: