The San Rafael Transit Center (SRTC) serves as the regional transit hub for Marin County. It connects bus service, airporter service, taxi, and rail service with transfer points to San Francisco, Contra Costa and Sonoma counties.
Services at the current San Rafael Transit Center include:
- Local and regional bus service: Golden Gate Transit; Marin Transit; Sonoma County Transit
- Airporter service: Marin Airporter; Sonoma County Airport Express
- Greyhound Bus Lines
- Ride hailing/taxi service
- Regional rail service: Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART)
- Golden Gate Transit customer service
- Bike parking
The current 17-bay transit center serves people getting on and off buses 9,000 times each day on the over 500 buses that serve the transit center. Nearly half of weekday riders originate from or are travelling to the downtown San Rafael area. Just over half are transferring between buses or between bus and rail at the transit center. With 16 bus bays occupied during peak times, the SRTC is currently operating at or beyond its capacity.
Interim Transit Center
The extension of the SMART train from San Rafael to Larkspur has significantly impacted how buses enter and exit the transit center and where passengers board and exit buses. Click the image below to see how buses enter and exit the interim Transit Center:
Watch this video of Golden Gate Transit's interim Transit Center bus movement test: