May 1, 2019
Public Comments Welcome on Proposed Golden Gate Transit Commute Service Changes in Central and Northern Marin
Golden Gate Transit is proposing changes to improve upon its Northern and Central Marin commute service. The goal of these changes is to provide faster and more frequent service to San Francisco.
Sir Francis Drake Corridor:
- Expand express portion of Route 24X to start and end at College of Marin.
- Create a Route 24A that would start and end at College of Marin rather than originating in or continuing to Fairfax.
- Improve service levels on Routes 24A and 24X to every 20 minutes from every 30 minutes.
- Route 24 would skip Highway 101 bus pads south of Lucky Drive to provide faster service.
- Discontinue Route 27 service between Sleepy Hollow and San Anselmo Hub. Sleepy Hollow riders can catch the Route 24X on Sir Francis Drake Blvd. which provides frequent express service to/from San Francisco.
Marinwood and Novato:
- Extend Route 38 from Terra Linda to Marinwood along Las Gallinas Avenue and Miller Creek Road. Existing service along Del Ganado Road in Terra Linda would be discontinued and replaced by service on Freitas Parkway at Montecillo Road.
- Discontinue Route 44 now that Route 38 has been re-aligned to serve Miller Creek Road and Route 58 will serve Highway 101 bus pads.
- Expand Route 58 by adding an afternoon trip.
- Increase the span and frequency of service on Route 56. The route would be renumbered Route 56X.
- Service on Routes 54 and 54C in San Marin would be replaced by increased service on Route 56X. Riders destined for the Civic Center can transfer at the Toll Plaza.
- Route 54 would skip the Highway 101 bus pads south of Alameda del Prado to provide faster service for riders in Novato. The majority of passengers will not experience any changes, as there will be no adjustments to Route 54 service south of Novato Blvd. and 7th.
These service changes, which would take effect in December 2019, are being proposed to enhance transit service for the majority of residents of the Ross Valley, Terra Linda, Marinwood, and Novato.
Resources would be reallocated from poor performing service, including Route 44 and the Sleepy Hollow segment of Route 27, to increase the span and frequency of service, extend service to residential areas along Las Gallinas Avenue in San Rafael, reduce travel times to/from San Francisco, and target areas where ridership potential is greatest.
- Community Workshops
- Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Presentation at 7:00 p.m. Marinwood Community Center, 775 Miller Creek Road, San Rafael (Presentation in PDF)
- Saturday, May 11, 2019, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Drop-in format. Starbucks, 127 San Marin Drive, Novato
- Saturday, May 18, 2019, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Drop-in format. Isabel Cook Community Center, 1000 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, San Anselmo
- Public Hearing
- Thursday, June 20, 2019, at 9:00 a.m. in the Board Room, Administration Building, Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza, San Francisco
Draft Timetables & Maps
- Timetables (proposed)
- Maps (existing and proposed)
Ways to Comment
We value your input. There are several ways to provide public comment:
- Attend one of the community workshops and share your opinions.
- Email email@example.com.
- Provide written comments to the District Secretary at P.O. Box 9000, Presidio Station, San Francisco, CA 94129-0601.
- Attend the public hearing.
The District’s practice is to treat all comments equally without regard to the manner in which the comments are submitted or received. Therefore, individuals need not attend the public hearing and provide testimony in person if they have commented through email or written forms. All comments received through the above methods will be considered in the final recommendation. Comments must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 21, 2019.
More Information & Trip Planning
For transit trip planning assistance, visit goldengate.org or call 511 (say “Golden Gate Transit”)/TDD 711. The Golden Gate Customer Service Center is open weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.