Golden Gate Transit Marin Commute Bus Route Changes Approved
The Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation Board of Directors voted unanimously on Friday, July 26th, 2019, to adjust bus routes in Marin County to better balance resources. Several bus trips regularly experienced very low ridership, which did not meet the District’s ridership standard of 20 passengers per trip on average for commute routes. Other routes needed extra bus trips to accommodate passenger demand. These changes are part of a regular right-sizing and balancing process led by the District’s Planning Department.
“Our goal is to provide reliable, safe, and comfortable transportation between the North Bay and San Francisco,” says Planning Director Ron Downing. “These changes are responsive to the community needs, while also being mindful of our fiscal responsibilities to our toll and fare payers who fund Golden Gate Transit operations.”
The District held multiple open houses and a public hearing to receive comments from the community on the proposed bus route changes. Based on those comments, the District changed its initial proposal to retain a portion of the service most valuable to the community. The changes also provide additional service where it is needed.
The following changes will take effect on Monday, December 9th, 2019.
Sir Francis Drake Corridor
- Route 24 will have one additional evening trip.
- Route 24X will be modified to operate non-stop service between the College of Marin and Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza.
- Route 27 between Sleepy Hollow and the San Anselmo Hub will be discontinued.
Marinwood, Lucas Valley, and Novato
- Lucas Valley will have bus service on a new Route 38A.
- Route 44 will be discontinued.
- Route 38 will be extended from Terra Linda to Marinwood and one afternoon trip will be added.
- Route 54 service levels will be adjusted at bus pads in the San Rafael area.
- Routes 54 and 54C will terminate in central Novato.
- Route 56 will be replaced with Route 56X and service levels will be increased.
- Route 58 will be provided with one additional afternoon trip.
For more information, please see the full staff report: https://www.goldengate.org/board/2019/agendas/documents/2019-0725-TransComm-No4-ApprGGTMarinCommuteSvcChanges.pdf.